The objectives of the scheme are to provide opportunities to regularly appoint permanent teachers of universities/institutions to pursue research in their area(s) of specialisation for a period of two years without undertaking any research guidance. A provision for extension of tenure of Research Award has been made for one year only on the recommendation of the subject experts in exceptional cases. The total numbers of 100 slots are available under the scheme every alternate year.
In order to remain in touch with the latest developments in their respective areas of teaching and research, the awardees may take classes/teach in their place of work/institution of implementation of the Award, without any additional remuneration. This period of teaching is inclusive of the full tenure of the award.
Regularly appointed permanent teachers who have a doctorate degree and have shown an aptitude for research may apply for the Award. They must have been published papers/ articles in reputed/referred journals, and have made contributions to editorial boards, collaborative research nationally, internationally or with industries/national organisations and universities/institutions recognised under Sections 2(f) and 12(B) of the UGC Act. The applicant should possess a Ph.D degree.
Lecturers, senior lecturers, and selection-grade lecturers, readers and professors who are finally selected for the Award are eligible for taking classes marginally as already 3 prescribed above. However, they are restricted from taking any other assignment paid/unpaid during their tenure.
Pattern of Assistance Available Under the Scheme
The financial assistance available under the scheme is as follows:
- Full salary of the awardee with admissible allowances will be reimbursed to the institution where the awardee is undertaking research except the CPF/GPF contribution, as the same is to be borne by the parent institution.
- Research grant to meet expenditure on books and journals, chemicals and equipment for the entire period is as under:
- Humanities and Social Sciences: Rs.2.00 lakh
- Sciences/Natural Sciences/Engineering and Technology: Rs.3.00 lakh
- The awardee, being on duty leave, will continue to earn normal increment and maintain his/her seniority in the parent university/institution.
- He/she will be entitled to holidays and all other privileges as per his/her entitlement in the university/institute, including facilities of staff quarters/medical assistance, etc. during the period of the award.
- Expenditure towards travel within the country in connection with research work has to be met out of the research grant only. No additional funds will be provided for this purpose.
- Foreign visit in connection with the approved research work of the awardee will be limited to once in a year with the prior approval/no-objection of the Institution/University where the project work is being undertaken along with that of UGC. This will be further subject to no financial liability on the part of UGC.
- The expenditure towards engagement of any project assistant duly selected by the Selection Committee constituted by the concerned University/College/Institute will have to be met out of research grant for a maximum amount of Rs.5000/- p.m. (consolidated) during the tenure of the award only. The tenure of the project assistant will be co-terminus with the Research Award.
- The Commission will not provide any grant towards the salary of the substitute, if appointed, in place of the awardee.
- For More information, Click here(325KB).
Source: University Grants Commission