Disabilities pose a big hurdle for people who suffer from various mental and physical impairments. Even simple task pose a challenge for them and every day is a struggle. They are very often isolated and socially marginalized. They face discrimination in virtually all aspects of life. As an inclusive and comprehensive approach for mainstreaming such target groups, Social Justice Department has introduced a novel project known as Pariraksha scheme.
This target population deserves special care and protection. Hence, the main objective of the scheme is to cater assistance to such needy differently abled persons who are in a crisis or facing emergency situations. Without which the crisis can take a toll on their physical and psychological health.
As per G.O (Rt) No.310/2018/SJD dated 25-05-2018, Government of Kerala has sanctioned an amount of Rs. 70,00,000/- for addressing the issues faced by them.
Guidelines for implementation of the scheme
- A monitoring committee has to be constituted in each district including the following members.
- District Collector/Representative – Chairman
- District Social Justice Officer – Convener
- District Medical Officer/ Representative – Member
- District Crime Records Bureau (Dy.SP) – Member
- DLSA Representative – Member
- 2 members of Disability organization – Member
- Service must be catered to all differently abled persons irrespective of gender (Male/Female/Transgender).
- BPL category limit should not be considered.
- The fund can be utilized for catering the needs such as emergency surgeries, first aid, ambulance service, food and clothing, etc.
- The fund can be utilized for medical examination, rehabilitation and institutionalization of destitute, wandering and bereaved disabled persons.
- It can also be used for providing emergency medical aid for differently abled persons suffering from natural calamities, acid attacks and life-threatening burns.
- This scheme can only be availed by those who have 40 % or more disability and who submit disability certificate.
- The service of Private hospitals can be utilized for administering first aid treatments. But in case of expert medical treatment, an expert opinion has to be sought from Government hospital.