Science and Engineering Research Board (SERB) under Department of Science & Technology
High Risk and High Reward Research is a scheme supporting and inviting new proposals and ideas expected to have a paradigm shifting influence on the Science and Technology
The Scheme for funding High Risk – High Reward Research aims at supporting proposals that are conceptually new and risky, and if successful, expected to have a paradigm shifting influence on the S&T. This may be in terms of formulating new hypothesis, or scientific breakthroughs which aid in emergence of new technologies.
- Who CAN APPLY
- Applicant should be an Indian citizen residing in India.
- The applicant(s) must hold a regular academic/research position in a recognized institution.
- The proposals can be submitted by an individual or by a team of investigators. Proposals submitted by a team of investigators must identify a Principal Investigator, who will spearhead the research objectives and administer the grant.
Nature of Proposals to be Supported:
The scheme is aimed at supporting proposals that are new, challenge existing hypothesis, and provide ‘out of box’ thinking on important problems. It should contain significant risk elements but promise of high reward if the difficulties could be circumvented. It is expected that the success of such proposals will have far reaching implications in S&T. Outcome could be new and significant theoretical or experimental advances, formulation of new hypothesis, or breakthrough science which will lead to new technologies. Proposals that address scientific issues which will result in ‘incremental’ knowledge will not be supported. Ideally, the proposal must contain bold research ideas which will have wide ranging impact and potential for new scientific and technological innovations.Nature & Duration of Support
- The funding is provided normally for a period of three years. In exceptional cases, the duration can be up to 5 years as assessed by the expert committee.
- No budget limit is prescribed for this type of projects. The research grant covers equipment, consumables, contingency and travel apart from overhead grants.
Selection & Mode of Application
- Submission under HRHR henceforth can only be made against call for proposals which would concurrently open along with CRG.
- The proposals will be evaluated through peer review processes as approved by the Board.