Science and Engineering Research Board (SERB) under Ministry of Science & Technology
Extramural Research (EMR) funding scheme of SERB to academic institution, research laboratories and other R&D organizations to carry out basic research in all frontier areas of Science and Engineering is in limelight for more than four decades since from the inception of SERC. This scheme encourages emerging and eminent scientist in field of science and engineering for individual centric competitive mode of research funding. Since the scheme provides core research support to the active researchers, the existing name Extramural Research (EMR) has been renamed as Core Research Grant (CRG).
The scheme provides core research support to active researchers to undertake research and development in frontier areas of Science and Engineering.
- Applicants [Principal Investigator (PI) and Co-PrincipalInvestigator(s) (Co-PI(s))]should be Indian citizens. Foreign nationals (including OCI and NRI) are also eligible to apply provided they fulfil the eligibility criteria notified by SERB (SERB Funding Guidelines for foreign nationals dated 27th Oct 2016).
- The applicant(s) must hold a regular academic/research position in a recognized academic institution or national laboratory or in any other recognized R & D institution in India.
- Faculties recruited through UGC-Faculty Recharge Program are eligible to apply. INSPIRE Faculty, Ramanujan and Ramalingaswamy Fellows are also eligible to apply provided they have at least three and half years of tenure remaining at the time of submission of application.
- Investigators who will be superannuating during the duration of the project or already superannuated are also eligible to apply. In such cases, a Faculty/Scientist from the host institute who has at least 5 years of service remaining should be associated as a Co-PI. The host institution should allow the investigator to continue after superannuation and provide required support towards implementation of the project.
- Aspirants of NPDF, ECRA and CRG (EMR) can submit their proposal only once in a calendar year in any one of these schemes.
- The PI and Co-Investigator(s) should hold Ph.D. degree in Science, Mathematics, Engineering or M.D / M.S. / M.D.S. / M.V.Sc degree at the time of applying for grant.
- The term “Regular” in the context of CRG refers to the applicants who are appointed against the sanctioned post or in a tenure post, but are likely to be renewed after the end of the tenure.
Nature and Duration Of Support
- The CRG schemeprovides research support to an individual researcher or a group of researchers working in a recognized academic institution or national laboratory or in other recognized R & D institution in India.
- [Private Academic institutions with valid UGC / AICTE / PCI approval, Private R&D Institutions with valid DSIR-SIRO recognition andVoluntary and Non-Governmental Organizations registered under NITI-AAYOG Darpan portal are eligible to host a project.]
- The funding is provided normally for a period of three years.
- The research grant is provided for equipment, manpower, consumables, travel and contingency. “Overheads”is also be provided to the implementing institution as per prevailing norms of SERB.
Mode &Selection of Application:
- An applicant is eligible to apply only one proposal during a call.
- Any proposal technically rejected should not be resubmitted without any substantial revision to any schemes or programs of the SERB.
- Not more than one project is allowed at any given time. However, projects under the programs EMEQ, HRHR, IRRD and special calls are exempted from this category. The PI is encouraged to apply for another project six months prior to the completion of the project.
- The Call for applications will be made twice a year (July and December) and will be notified through the website www.serbonline.in and www.serb.gov.in. The application form along with a proper research proposal highlighting the research work to be undertaken should be submitted online through the website www.serbonline.in.
- The selection will be based on the recommendations of Program Advisory Committee (PAC) constituted by the Board. If required, the applicants maybe called for discussion/ presentation.
Please see www.serbonline.in for the call dates.Decision
The results of the proposal submitted in a call will be generally communicated within six months of closing of the call.Fund release will depend on timely submission of required documents by the investigatorsand the availability of funds, etc.Formats & Guidelines