Ministry of Housing and Urban Affairs
The purpose of Atal Mission for Rejuvenation and Urban Transformation (AMRUT) is to (i) ensure that every household has access to a tap with assured supply of water and a sewerage connection; (ii) increase the amenity value of cities by developing greenery and well maintained open spaces (e.g. parks); and (iii) reduce pollution by switching to public transport or constructing facilities for non-motorized transport (e.g. walking and cycling). All these outcomes are valued by citizens, particularly women, and indicators and standards have been prescribed by the Ministry of Urban Development (MoUD) in the form of Service Level Benchmarks (SLBs).
1. The total outlay for AMRUT is INR 50,000 crore for five years from FY 2015-16 to FY 2019-20 and the Mission will be operated as a Centrally Sponsored Scheme
2. The Mission funds will consist of the following four parts:
(a) Project fund – 80% of the annual budgetary allocation (90% during first year).
(b) Incentive for Reforms – 10%
(c ) State funds for Administrative & Office Expenses (A&OE) – 8% of the annual budgetary allocation
(d) MoUD funds for Administrative & Office Expenses (A&OE) – 2% of the annual budgetary allocation
3. For FY 2015-16 the project fund would be 90% of the annual budgetary allocation as incentive for Reforms will be given only from FY 2016-17 onwards.
4. Funding Pattern for Thrust Areas:
One-third of the project cost as grant from GoI for cities with a population of above 10 lakh.
(a) One-half of the project cost as grant for cities /towns with population up to 10 lakh.
(b) Balance funding by State Governments / ULBs or through private investment.
5. Development of green spaces and parks with special provision for child-friendly components- One-half of the project cost by GoI and the total expenditure on these projects will not exceed 2.5% of the State Annual Action Plan (SAAP)
Who can apply?
All Cities and Towns with a population of over one lakh with notified Municipalities,
including Cantonment Boards (Civilian areas),
ii. All Capital Cities/Towns of States/ UTs, not covered in 2.1(i),
iii. All Cities/ Towns classified as Heritage Cities by MoUD under the HRIDAY Scheme,
iv. Thirteen Cities and Towns on the stem of the main rivers with a population above 75,000
and less than 1 lakh, and
v. Ten Cities from hill states, islands and tourist destinations (not more than one from each State)
How to apply?
Interested parties can apply online.